Always a favourite on any menu is a terrine / parfait or a pate.
They are all similar in their intent, but are different in their appearance and texture. A parfait is a type of pate that has a very smooth consistency, whereas a terrine is traditionally more chunky and a pate would be somewhere in between.
You can’t make this parfait without fresh chicken livers, which is what puts most people off. However, all you need to do is use a bit of common sense and follow our chefs handy tip.
CHEFS HANDY TIP
“When buying your chicken livers from the butchers ask them to remove any sinews and gall bladder for you. Then prior to making your parfait soak your chicken livers in some milk for one hour (this will draw out any bitterness), wash them under cool running water briefly before using them in the recipe.”
Ingredients for Chicken Liver Parfait
- 1kg Fresh chicken livers
- 160g Pasteurised egg yolks
- 1kg melted Butter
- 2 x diced Onions
- 1/2 bulb crushed Garlic
- Chopped Thyme
- Chopped Parsley
- zest of 2 Oranges
- 25ml Port
- 25ml Brandy
How to: –
- Lightly pan fry the garlic, thyme, parsley and orange zest before adding the port and brandy. For those brave soles who wish to do so, flambe the pan (not a requirement, it’s more for showmanship!).
- Add the chicken livers and pan fry quickly to seal the outside of the meat.
- Place your chicken liver mix, onions, egg yolks into a blender and switch on. Add your butter to the mixture slowly until its all mixed together.
- You will need to push your mixture through a sieve to get a smooth texture. It may take a little time and effort, but the result of a fabulously smooth consistency is worth it!
- Put them into an ovenproof container. This could be individual ramekins, a terrine mould, or even a simple bowl. Cover with greaseproof paper and foil.
- Place your dishes into another shallow tray or container that has water in it coming up half way on your dish – also known as a Bain Marie.
- Cook at 150 degrees celsius for an hour and a half.
- After taking it out of the oven place in a cold space or area to cool as quickly as possible. Once the dish is cool to the touch store in the fridge and eat within 2 days. Or place in the freezer immediately.
Serve your chicken liver parfait alongside your favourite sourdough bread and salted Welsh butter. Maybe even add some of your homemade chutney or our favourite is red onion marmalade.